Saturday, October 30, 2010

Did Someone Say Cookie-monster?

When it comes to cookies, you can call me a cookie-monster. This all-time favorite snack haunts and tempts me on stressful, long days. So why not try to change this indulgent snack into something healthier that you can have more often? These beauties were an experiment I tried tonight. I found a basic "healthy cookie" recipe on allrecipes.com and adapted it to what I had in my cupboard. I've never properly measured anything for this recipe, and it always seems to turn out! So good luck with your power cookies!
I usually start with 1-2 mashed bananas in 1/4 cup oil, add approximately 2 cups rolled oats, then add millet, sunflower and pumpkin seeds, dried fruit (raisins, cherries, blueberries, cranberries), chopped walnuts, and almonds. I use 1-2 eggs, depending on what I have at home to help the mixture bind together, 1/3tsp of baking soda, 1/3tsp baking powder, ~1/4c whole wheat flour, cinnamon, ground cloves, and dark chocolate chips.
Let the mixture sit for 5-10 minutes, form into cookies using a spoon and your hand onto a baking sheet and bake at 350-370F for 10-15 minutes.
These cookies satisfy my sweet tooth while the dried fruit, seeds, millet, and oats provide fiber to keep me feeling full for longer- this way I won't eat the entire batch when they come out of the oven!
If you're a cookie-monster too, try experimenting with your cookie recipes to increase fiber, replace part of the fat and sugar, but still include the things you love!

No comments:

Post a Comment